The History of Castleton Silver Band
Castleton Band was officially inaugurated for the King's jubilee in 1935.
It originally consisted of anyone who could 'blow' ex servicemen, ex Salvation Army Bandsmen etc. from Castleton and the surrounding villages.
Following jubilee year the band became the main musical support for the Castleton Garland, Castleton Wakes, Empire Day parade and Armistice Day parade.
In 1937 Mr. T.H. Cooke, himself a talented cornet player, took over the task of reorganising what was then known as 'The Castleton Brass Band'. Together with a very energetic committee and with the full support of local residents funds were raised to change Brass to Silver.
This was finally achieved in Coronation Year when the band turned out in their new uniforms ranging from Jimmy Nichols at 8 stone to Sprider Green at 18 stone.
Over the years Castleton Silver Band has seen many changes, the most shocking, women joining the ranks of bandsmen.
Vera Dawson (nee Robinson) being the first woman to join the trombone section after a lot of huffing and puffing from the men they looked after her very well.